UP 3D Printer Mini Desktop Review
Portable 3D printers are quickly emerging in the market and this UP! Mini Desktop 3D Printer review will show you why this is one of the best choices out of its competitors. A detailed look of its features is listed, as well as a comprehensive rundown of its advantages and disadvantages.
Most 3D printers for sale are quite expensive, large and bulky, and difficult to use. That is why the only people seen using them are industrial engineers and Auto-CAD users. Looking into the history of 3D printers, you’ll see that smaller, cheaper models have only started to go mainstream around 2005. Most of the industrial models will cost you over hundreds of thousands and they require annual maintenance.
Then you come across models such as the UP 3D Printer. Formally known as the UP! Mini 3D Desktop Printer, this machine has been built from the ground up to be a cheap 3D printer that can be used in schools or at home. To learn more about it and see whether this is the 3D printer of choice, consider the in-depth 3D printer review below.
Main Features of the UP! 3D Printer:
- One quick glance and you’ll immediately see it is not designed like other 3D printers. Whereas many other models have an open design, the UP 3D printer has an all-metal enclosure. This will keep the foul odour inside the enclosure. It also controls the noise while printing and temperature fluctuation.
- With an enclosure you might think you’d be limited to a specific size but amazingly the UP Mini 3D Printer is still capable of producing 3D prints up to dimensions of 4.75”x4.75”x4.75”. It can be small for some but for many designers working on small prototypes, this is perfect.
- On the more technical side of things, this 3D printer utilizes both PLA and ABS printing materials and it accepts STL input commands. It is compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Mac OSX.
- This is also one of the quicker machines in the market today. It can print from 10cm3 per hour to 100cm3 per hour with resolutions ranging from .20mm (200 microns) to .40mm (400 microns). This gives you all the freedom to print designs both simple and intricate.
What Do You Get?
So what’s in the box, you might ask? One of the worst things that could happen is to spend money on an order and realize that you didn’t get what you were hoping for. A lot of products tend to send bare basic products. They force you to spend more cash on accessories just so you could use what you already paid for. To help you get an inside look, here is a list of the items you find in the box:
- The UP! Mini 3D Printer
- USB Cable
- A 20-volt power adaptor
- Filament Tube
- ABS spool
- One extrude head
- One perforated cell board
- One Tool Kit complete with accessories (i.e. gloves, pliers, wrenches)
Pros and Cons
Pros of the UP! 3D Printer
- The best feature of this 3D printer is its all-metal enclosure. This feature makes it ideal for indoor use. Without the noise and odour, you can freely use it in your garage or even in a classroom for discussions and demonstrations. Unlike so many models that have an open design, this one is made specifically for domestic use.
- You want to maintain thermal stability and you can easily achieve that here because this 3D printer has a platform that heat up to 51.4 degrees Celsius. This is important because it will ensure your printed designs are stable and condensed.
- There is no doubt that this printer is compact and very portable. It weighs in a total of 5kg and it is small enough for anyone to just carry around or lug in their car. You can always carry it around, making it ideal for people who work at home and in an office.
- This 3D printer is incredibly affordable. It is just below the $600 mark and yet it offers all of the important features you would demand out of a home 3D printer. You don’t have to sacrifice quality for affordability.
- The enclosure also protects your printed product during the printing process. Often times children, pets, or even the wind could disrupt the accuracy of a 3D printer but this enclosure makes sure that the process is never interrupted.
- There is no difficult set-up and assembly to worry about. You can pull it out of the box, adjust it a bit, and start printing. That alone makes it one of the most user-friendly printers out there today.
Cons of the Up! 3D Printer
- Many will consider the printing size and resolution a big plus considering the size of the printer but the total dimensions of 4.75×4.75×4.75inches can be a little limiting for others, especially industrial engineers and experimental designers.
Still not convinced? You can find customer reviews from real consumers, hobbyists and professionals alike, at its Amazon page. It is a good sign when an affordable product retains a 3.8 out of 5 star review on a big consumer site.
Moving Into the Future
Yes, this might not be the most revolutionary 3D printer you’d find in the news today but the UP printer is definitely a step in the right direction. One look at the latest trends in 3D printers will immediately show you how influential the UP 3D printer has been to other products in the market. Many are adapting the same design of this particular machine.
Many printers today are adapting the “right out of the box” compact design since it promotes ease-of-use and portability. Others are adapting the closed enclosure. However, if you want the best printer that started it all then you should look no further than this printer.
Is This Printer Worth the Money?
If you’ve gone through this UP! Mini 3D Desktop Printer review then you will immediately sum up that this is worth the money. After all, it doesn’t cost much when compared to all the other home 3D printers but it doesn’t cut off any of the required features. As a matter of fact, it adds more features with its all-metal enclosure and quick setup design.
Whether you are a professional engineer or a hobbyist looking for a new at-home business to profit from, this printer is the ideal choice to go to. It is affordable and it is designed specifically for home use, keeping it quiet, odourless, and easy to manipulate.
You may also be interested in: